Sunday, May 11, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 5

Again the sumo wrestler Awajiumi mentioned something about Chiyo’s eyes. He described them as mirrors. It amuses me how everyone single person has noticed her eyes. I bet Chiyo is very annoyed with it though. I like how he said “I once saw a dead man fished out of the river, his tongue was just the same color as her eyes” That made me laugh it is such a good description. He also brought up how beautiful Chiyo is as well just like everyone else. I bet she will make a great geisha. I also enjoyed when Awajiumi brought up that Hatsumomo must be too pretty herself to see elsewhere besides her self. I think she is deep down very jealous of Hatsumomo. I am still very curious as to where they took Chiyo’s sister. She has to see her again because they keep bringing her back up. The people in the house clean themselves really weird. Do they even get in a bathtub or anything or just scrub up in a bathhouse out in the open down the road? That would be horrible having to go get a shower a little ways down the road, kind of like camping. The way a geisha gets ready for their day is crazy. There is so much preparing and stuff to do. It seems like they pile a bunch of make up on their faces too. I would not like that very much. It would get old after awhile. Even getting dressed like putting the kimono on seems like a lot of worker especially for the dresser. There is a lot of clothes under the kimono that the people don’t even get to see, it seems pointless to be there and would be very hot I imagine. Hatsumomo seems like a very pretty girl; too bad her attitude is so rotten. I wonder how old she is? I do not think that after all the preparing the girls have to do would be worth it in the end.

1 comment:

Irish said...

I agree, the Kimono is unreal in how much it takes to get on and off. Lots and lots of lairs. The idea that you need an assistant to help dress somebody seems way more involved than most would want to mess with.

We are kept in the dark about her sister, but this plays into the mystery and how green she is. She knows little of city life or how people use each other. This shatters in time.

Mr. Farrell