Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 16

I do not know how I really feel about Pumpkin winning the apprentice award. She seems like a nice enough girl and deserves to be successful since she has to put up with Hatsumomo all day long everyday. It is sad that she is getting all her fame now and nobody will know who she is in the next five years. I wonder if everyone will know who Sayuri is by then? I really hope that Mrs. Nitta does not adopt Pumpkin because then it is not possible for anyone to get rid of Hatsumomo. I really want to see Hatsumomo fail and suffer because she definitely deserves it. I cannot believe Hatsumomo even tracked Sayuri down at every single party they attended just so she could ruin her reputation. She is such a witch in more ways than one. If I were Sayuri I would always be going crazy wondering what Mameha’s plans were for me because she is always afraid to say them allowed in case Hatsumomo may get wind of them. It was very nice of Mameha to lend Sayuri all the kimonos she lends her. I really like Mameha she is a very nice caring person, I just really hope she does not turn out to be a bad person or anything like that in the end. Mameha tries so hard for Sayuri to become successful and meet a ton of people. She even took her to a place in Osaka where they would be attending a sumo exhibition. I am very curious about the sumo-wrestling matches. I hope they explain what is going on during it in the next chapter or so. That was very polite of Sayuri to not stare at Nubo since he has a whole bunch of scars all over his face. That would be very hard to do. I was extremely surprised to see the chairman at the match as well, and a guy that she would be entertaining no less. That was a huge surprise to me, but know that we seen him in the book again I have this huge feeling he is going to end being a very big part. I find it disturbing how much she falling for this old man. I am very curious to see what happens next now that she sees it is the chairman. Wonder if she will get to talk and flirt with him? That could me exciting.

1 comment:

Irish said...

You wrote: "I really want to see Hatsumomo fail and suffer because she definitely deserves it. I cannot believe Hatsumomo even tracked Sayuri down at every single party they attended just so she could ruin her reputation."

I laughed when I read this, because I remember thinking the same exact thing too. I HATED her for being so mean, and I kept waiting for revenge.

I also agree with you that it was a bit far fetched that she was able to track down Chiyo at every turn and thwart her attempts at making headway in new Tea houses.

You do a great job predicting events in your posts. I really enjoy reading them.

Mr. Farrell