Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 17

It is kind of sad how bad Sayuri has it for the chairman. It is really weird if you ask me. She has dreams about him every night and even when he looked at her it brought chill to her. That is insane. What do these old guys really even want with young girls like Sayuri that is just wrong. I found it very amusing when Sayuri was trying to show off the beauty of the side of her arm as Mameha had showed her by pouring tea into the chairman’s cup and then there ended up not even being any tea in there. That made me laugh. I was surprised to see that the chairman remembered that the Kimono that Sayuri was wearing had once been Mameha’s. He must have a really good memory or the kimono must really be that beautiful. The whole town sure seems to get into sumo-wrestling. Nabu was obsessed with it and he was angry that the chairman did not feel this way. That is kind of pathetic. I found that the whole sumo wrestling match thing seemed a lot like a lot of our sporting events. It seemed like it would have been fun and interesting to watch. Myagiyama seems like a very good wrestler, everyone seems to be impressed with his works. I think it would be very entertaining to watch two extremely big guys fight each other. I wanted to scream when Hatsumomo showed up at this event as well. She really does not know when to quit. All because her one friend told her that Sayuri was there. Hatsumomo really does not have a life at all. I found that the chairman seems like a very generous and kind man. I hope for Sayuri’s fate that is whom she ends up with in the end, since she is crazy about him and everything. Nabu does not seem like a very nice and caring man. He seems rude, self-conceited, and very cranky all the time. I do not think I like him much, but I feel he will be an important character in this book. I really want to know what Mameha’s plan is; it seems like a good one that will help Sayuri out a lot. I wonder whom this other man is that she is going to have to meet.

No comments: