Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 23

Sayuri is getting older and more mature now I can tell by how she is starting to act and think. She has become very emotional and has been going through many events that will affect her the rest of her life. Sayuri is becoming a very popular girl. The artist that she had met previously had drawn the picture of her when he had first noticed her eyes. That remarkable picture that he had drawn of her is now all over the town of Gion. I would say her career is becoming a success. I would be very excited if I were her seeing my portrait on a poster everywhere. The dance recital event that she would be starring in sounds very intriguing and fun. The dance Mameha preformed seemed very deep and emotional, especially since when Sayuri said that she would never get the impression of the dance erased from her mind. Mameha must be an amazing dancer. Mameha sounds almost perfect in everything she does. She is one hundred times better the Hatsumomo. The book did not really describe how well Sayuri did in her dancing, but I am thinking that she did okay. I think it would be fun to attend and watch on of the dance events in Gion. I love watching people dance and perform things and they way they describe it in the book seemed like an awesome place. That was very nice of Nobu to wait for Mameha and Sayuri outside for so long. Even though he seemed very upset it took them so long he was still nice enough to give Sayuri a gift. I wonder if Mameha is becoming jealous at all this attention that Sayuri is getting. The gem that he gave Sayuri sounded very pretty, I would not have known what to say if I would have been in Sayuri’s shoes. Nobu is very interested in Sayuri. I wonder if he will be her highest bidder. I was surprised when Mameha told Sayuri to give Mother the gem that Nobu just had given her. I would have been upset to give it to that mean old lady especially since the Nobu gave it to her to enjoy. I guess Mameha knows what she is doing though, so it was probably a smooth move to give it to Mother. Now she knows Sayuri will be bid off her soon and that will give her a good advantage to adopt her. I think Mother could have been a littler more nicer though after Sayuri had handed her the gem, that made me a little mad. She is not appreciative of anything.

1 comment:

Irish said...

The Gem is yet another token of his affections. She keeps taking his gifts all through the novel, and yet rejects his heart. I actually feel he's the true victim of this story, since he falls for Chiyo, but she never seems able to truly return his love.

Yes, the Dance seems to put her ahead of the rest of the Geisha. It establishes her as one of the Prima Geishas in town.

Mr. Farrell