Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 12

I believe that Mameha has something tricky planned because it is awful peculiar how she out of the blue wanted Chiyo to be her little sister. Something is not adding up here, even if Chiyo becomes a successful geisha there is still a little bit of a chance that she will fail. Mameha either has her hopes up very high or is very confident Chiyo will beat Hatsumomo. Mameha sure does have some strict rules about being a geisha; she is a perfectionist for sure. I think it would be extremely hard to be Chiyo. She has to live with Hatumomo and make sure she does not say a single word to her that could ruin her entire career. It would have been hard to go back to lessons after two years. I really admire Chiyo and all of her bravery. I found it very funny when the teacher said, “Such and such, does your flute smell bad? Well then why do you wrinkle your nose that way?” This really mad me laugh because I could just picture the girl doing this and it was a very smart remark the teacher said back to her. I felt so bad for Pumpkin when Hatsumomo grabbed her lip really hard like that. It is not fair to Chiyo or Pumpkin that they are not allowed to practice or even talk to each other anymore just because they are competing against each other. It should be their choice whether they want to talk to each other or not. Poor Chiyo lost one of her closest friends now and she did not even do anything wrong for it. If I were Chiyo I would really want to move out of the house and go live with Mameha, because she really has nothing to lose at that house she is living at now. How geisha get rich is very interesting. I cannot believe a man would pay that much just to be entertained. It is a little crazy if you ask me. I hope we get to meet Mameha’s danna that would be an interesting time. Mameha is really lucky to have a danna that is why she gets to live by herself have all them pretty kimonos and everything else. I think it is neat how dance is a geisha’s most important talent. I like to dance it is fun and exciting. That would really be bad though if the person was not good at dancing they would pretty much be screwed then. I find it very weird that Chiyo is still having visions about the Chairman she ran into a long time ago. This chapter was a very revealing chapter.

1 comment:

Irish said...

Pumpkin is a really neat character, and we see through out the book how Chiyo and her are always good friends, even though this is such a competitive line of work.

Later their friendship is strained because of this, but it's still early enough in the story that it's not a rift that comes between the friends.

I liked the flute scene too.
Mr. Farrell