Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 18

I found it very ironic how at the same time when Sayuri had met the chairman is the same time when the electric company had been famous and all over the magazines. So any magazine she would have picked up would have had the chairman’s face on it. It is almost kind of cute how she researched him in like every news article that she could find. She really has it bad for him and they are like thirty years apart. I guess age does not really matter in this place. Sayuri had been very upset about Mameha’s kimono having a cut in it; them things must be really expensive because of how worried she was. That was actually very convenient that the kimono did have a whole it in because they used it very usefully. I cannot believe Mameha went to such the extremes just to meet this doctor guy. They must be really desperate to get Sayuri to meet this guy. I was shocked that they actually cut the poor girls thigh just so she could go to the hospital. That is the craziest, yet very smartest idea I ever heard of. That was a very clever move for Mameha only I felt really bad for Sayuri because she had to suffer with the pain. Sayuri seems like a very good actress, because when she showed the doctor her cut she played her part very well. The doctor seemed very shy and I really have no idea if he was impressed with Sayuri or not. I wonder if he really even believed that Sayuri fell while going to the bathroom or could he really tell it was a cut made on purpose. The artist guy that Mameha took Sayuri to seemed like a very interesting character. He was a very messed up man and very temperamental. I cannot believe they made him get mad enough to leave his own house then came back feeling a little better. He really has some anger issues. I found it strange that it took him so long to notice Sayuri’s eyes especially since he is an artist and all. I guess he just had other things on his mind. He seemed very intrigued with her though after he finally noticed them though. Her eyes are a major part of this book.

1 comment:

Irish said...

You wrote: "She really has it bad for him and they are like thirty years apart."

LOL. Yeah, a bit obsessive I think. At what point does it stop being a crush and become borderline sick, being as he's old enough to be her Dad!

As you point out, culturally it just isn't like here in the States, and times were different back then than now. Either way, it was a bit strange.

I forgot about the scene where she cut her leg, until I read your post at which point it started to come back to me. I still can't remember all the details. (I read this book 2 years ago) but I remember it being a smart ploy.

Mr. Farrell