Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 14

Chiyo finally gets to become an apprentice geisha. I would be very excited to make my debut if I were she. I really liked the caterpillar analogy in the beginning of this chapter. It really seemed to fit into the scheme of everything. I cannot believe that the hairdresser pretty much scalped Chiyo. That was terrible that he just kept scrubbing and scrubbing until all the dry skin was out of her head. That would have hurt so bad and while I was reading this part it even made my head feel hurt and scrubbed. It is very creepy and crazy that they put wax in the girls hair. That would be so uncomfortable. I can not imagine having my hair done like they do to the geishas. How often do they get this done? Everyday? The split peach hairstyle seems very interesting, I would kind of like to see a picture of it. I bet it would be very amusing. Just for their hair to be perfect they had to sleep on a stack of rice sacks. That would be so uncomfortable and if it was ruined in the morning they had to go through the torture of redoing it again. I would flip out at this part and probably quit at this point. The ceremony for the uniting of Chiyo and Mameha seemed very nice and proper, kind of like some kind of fancy party. Chiyo’s real geisha name now is Sayuri so I guess I will start calling her that from now on. It is kind of sad though that the little girl Chiyo does not exist anymore she is a totally different person. It seems like a lot of hard work to be a geisha even though they go to parties all day long. The story Mameha told at the party was very amusing it sure made me chuckle. It was about the guy that was spying on her and was absolutely obsessed with her. I think it would be very stressful to be a novice because they have so much of a reputation they have to look out for. That would be horrible that Hatsumomo showed up at the same party as Sayuri. I have this huge feeling she is going to do something very bad to Sayuri and may even ruin her reputation.

1 comment:

Irish said...

Geisha hair style can be seen on google I'd imagine, or wikipedia. If you see how they wear their hair up, (usually with hair tongs) I think you'll understand.

Sometimes these women have to play music and entertain even when they are ill or not felling up to the task. It's a tough job, and I don't think a lot of the men appreciate all the music and dancing these women do for their entertainment.

A hard and thankless job to be sure.

Mr. Farrell