Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 24

Mother did decide to adopt her, which is a very good thing now Sayuri barely has to worry about Hatsumomo at all. In fact she can boss her around as much as she wants to. This was one of the most emotional and important chapters in the book. It was wear Sayuri’s mizuage takes place. It does seem that Mameha is a little upset of how the bidding for Sayuri went, since her danna ended up being one of the men bidding. That was a very strange twist to the story. I really did not expect the baron to bid for Sayuri, but I guess he was a little more than obsessed with her. I was shocked to see that Nobu had dropped out. He seemed so into Sayuri. I guess he was in it for more than what Mameha and Sayuri thought. The guys sure did auction off a lot. They paid a lot of money to be the first to explore Sayuri. This is a very weird concept I must say. It is rather gross if you ask me, and I feel really bad for Sayuri because she does not in anyway really like any of these guys. To bad the Chairman did not end up bidding for her or anything. He is probably too cheep for her. Sayuri was a very expensive girl. She made records technically not as much as Mameha, but still a lot of money. It just disturbs me how crazy this whole concept is and how obsessed some guys can be. It is actually uncalled for. This is what Sayuri has been preparing her whole life for and she barely has any idea what is going on. That is pretty amazing that her misuage had covered the cost of all the expenses she had. That is insane because she had a lot of debt built up. She is way more successful then Pumpkin is. The guy that ended up winning the bid was Dr. Crab, which was really weird because I would say he knows her the least. I really did not like this guy. He was crazy, messed up, and he makes me sick. I cannot imagine how nercous Sayuri was. She is giving everything she got to this man that paid dearly for her. He seemed very prepared. One thing that really grossed me out was the suitcase the guy brought with him. It had blood samples of every geisha he has been with. That is disturbing on so many levels. This part really made me want to vomit especially since the book went into great detail about it. To top it all off he kept a blood sample from when Sayuri had been in his doctor’s office with a cut and he was practically in love with it. This guy is a psycho in more than one way. He knew that Sayuri would be special the minute he laid eyes on her. That is just a little creepy if you ask me. The whole concept was an awkward mess why would some old guy pay to do that with a young girl. Sayuri definitely did not know what to do. At the end of this chapter Sayuri learns that the Chairman did not even invite her to his party, which means that he really did not care for her entertainment. I felt so bad for her at this point because I’m sure her heart was broken. This was just a very emotional chapter and the climax of the book I would say.

1 comment:

Irish said...

i agree with the ideas you put forth. Dr. Crab is messed up no doubt. The author continues to mis-direct us into thinking the Chairman has no interest in Chiyo, and yet later we learn differently.

The whole process of this chapter is very barbaric, but its a cultural difference compared to the US to be sure.

Mr. Farrell