Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha- Chapter 21

Mameha is a very clever girl. I like her a lot. She sure did get very excited when she knew that she could bring Dr. Crab and Nobu together in the same room. This is a very big deal for Sayuri, because they guys know who they will be competing against and Sayuri can flirt with either one while the other gets jealous. She sure could have a lot of fun in this position. While they were at the party she did have a very interesting conversation with Dr. Crab. He is completely into Sayuri big time he wants her badly. You can tell by the way he acts around her and the way his face reactions are described. I knew that the Baron was not a good guy. He is such a creep the way he talked about the beauties of women. He is a total pervert. I would feel so awkward if I were Sayuri because I know what these guys are after now, and even talking to them would make me feel uncomfortable. I really have no idea who I like better either Dr. Crab or Nobu. I really do not prefer either, which makes it hard to choose which one is the best. Nobu really does not like the Baron at all. I wonder why he even attended the party then, probably to keep Sayuri company. I find it very strange that the geishas walk the men to the bathroom. That is so weird and I really would not want to do that. Then what do they do casually wait outside until they are done? That is a little pathetic if you ask me. I cannot believe how offended the Baron became when Mameha said she would not be attending his party this year. He pretty much flipped out on her. It was like he was the most important guy in the world or something that she could not miss it. I guess he is a pretty important person in Mameha’s life though. I was a little confused when she mentioned something about a medical issue, and then said something about an abortion. Is she really going to get an abortion that day of the party? Do geishas get abortions all the time because that would be terrible and not right. Does that mean that Mameha is actually pregnant at the moment? That is really weird to think about. This would kind of be a very horrible life to lead. After the Baron learned of her medical appointment he did not seem as mad about her not coming, so I guess she really was getting an abortion. That was very nice, I think of the Baron to invite Sayuri in Mameha’s place. I wonder how Mameha feels about this? I would imagine not very happy but feels it would be best for Sayuri. For some reason I have a feeling that if Sayuri goes to the Baron’s party something bad is going to happen. The Baron seems like a very pushy man and I do not like him nor trust him. The only reason Sayuri is excited to attend this party is because the Chairman is going to be there, but I have a suspicion she will not even get to hang out with him or anything. It would probably be for the best that she drops this little crush she has on the Chairman because he does not seem that interested in her.

1 comment:

Irish said...

yeah, the Chairman angle seems to always be a pipe dream, and we are left to think Nobu will be the likly Donna, and yet she rejects him to some degree.

As for the abortions, I believe there were chemical ways to accomplish this at first, such as eating a certain type of root that caused sever stomach pain, but leads to miscarriages. I can't remember the actual thing that caused this, but I remember reading that some where.

That said, pregnancy was a real career obstacle for these women, which would not allow for a normal life for either mother or child. I think this is why she secretly wants the Minister to sweep her away from this life so she can marry him and settle down?

Mr. Farrell