Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chapter 16

I am very happy for Nwoye because he decided to break away from Okonkwo and follow his own heart. This chapter dealt a lot with religion. Obierika came back to Mbanta to visit Okonkwo but mainly to find out what the deal was with Nwoye because he had seen him with the missionary people and said Okonkwo was not his father. I was very curious on what exactly that meant so as I read on I realized the missionaries before they settled in Umuofia they visited Mbanta first. While they were there they gave their inspirational speeches about their religion, which is basically what a majority of Americans tend to believe now that heaven and hell exist and there is a God. Most of Mbanta was very offended by this belief except for Nwoye who was very confused on what to believe. He decided to go along with these missionary people, which he found fascinating. Plus he really doubted his old religion because how it told the people to kill Ikemefuna and all its other weird missions. Also in this chapter I found out that iron horses means bicycles, which is a really awesome comparison. I found it very amusing how when the inspirational speaker, the man instead of saying myself he said my buttocks. That kind of made me chuckle. Okonkwo was really embarrassed and ashamed that his own son who he had high expectations for went with them. I think he was really depressed and disappointed. I wonder if Okonkwo actually beat him or gave him some kind of punishment?

No comments: