Monday, February 4, 2008

Chapter 12

This chapter is mainly all about Obierika’s daughter’s wedding or Uri, which means that dinner thing last time was not their actual wedding just a time where they figured out who gets what. Ezinma survived the last night’s activities and returned safely at home. Her mother had nothing really to worry about. I am a little confused though on what exactly the spirits did to her while she was down in the cave. We also found out that Okonkwo had actually made four trips back in forth to the cave until he finally seen Ekwefi there. I think he really made Ekwefi proud when he was there it really warmed her heart. That night Okonkwo or Ekwefi did not get that much sleep but they still managed to go celebrate the Uri. I thought it was neat that the entire village attended the Uri, its like they are one big family. The Uri kind of sounded like a wedding we would have here only its no were as fancy and people bring dishes and wine to it. I found it a little selfish that the in-laws wanted a least thirty pots of palm wine. If they did not bring more than thirty they were going to say something, which is really selfish but I guess that is how they do things there. They brought fifty pots so it was all good and everyone was happy. For the Uri the village people dressed up and danced around. The dancing sounded like a lot of fun. I also found the song they sang very amusing; it made me laugh. Now the bride gets to go live with her husband and in-laws for seven weeks. Does she live with them all the time after that then or if she decides she does not like them does she come home?

2 comments:

Garvey said...

Yea, I think this display of affection by Okonkwo really has a positive affect on his family. I was also really confused as to what all the excitement with the oracle was about, it never said anything. It almost seemed pointless. But the festivities definitely sounded like a party worth going to, ha.

Special-K said...

I was really surprised that Okonkwo cared so much about Ezinma. I also thought that the engagement party was very similar to ours today.