Monday, February 4, 2008

chapter 13

Chapter thirteen was a huge turning point in the book that really surprised me. I did not see this part coming at all. The oldest man in the village died so everyone living there went to the ceremony. I was kind of wondering how old the man actually was it does not say? I wander how old they become in Umuofia? The ceremony was very unique it did not seem like they did very much mourning. It was kind of like a celebration. They sure do seem to have a lot of partying and celebrating in Umuofia. The people at the ceremony sang some sort of national anthem thing that was in their language. The very first line in the chapter kind of reminded me of a theme song from Nick Jr’s television show Go Diego Go! The man that died was a very noble and a well-liked man in the village. He was a warrior so they had a funeral made for a warrior, which means they fired guns during the ceremony. Since Okonkwo has such a bad aim as we learned in a chapter awhile back he had a few problems. While they were firing the last salute he kind of hit a boy right in the heart. It was a sixteen year old and just so happened to be the man that just died sons. That must have been hard for the wife and mother to bear. Now Okonkwo is in trouble with his village and must flee for a while (7 years), which is a tradition if someone murders another one in the clan. This was really hard on Okonkwo’s family because they had to pick up all their belongings and run. Now he had to start all over again in a new village. That would be terrible I would be a little upset if I was his wives. I did not expect this to happen at all. It is such a huge turning point. I just got use to Umuofia now they will be switching to a whole new village

4 comments:

Garvey said...

Yea, the whole way through the novel I was waiting for something drastic to happen... but I thought this was the worst possible timing. I mean, I was actually beginning to sort of like Okonkwo. And he didn't even mean to do it this time. None of us can say we didn't see it coming, but I really don't see an event this drastic as justice for him.

Lisa said...

Yea now that you mention it I wonder what the wives thought about this, and not only this, but everything that Okonkwo does. I kind of wish this book had been written from the prospective of one of his wives. I think it would giv an entirely different spin to this novel.

Special-K said...

I could not believe what happened in this chapter. It completely caught me off guard. I meant he timing of it was just completely horrible. I also thought that the punishment was kind of drastic.

the sheeman said...

Those are some good points, i hadn't wondered how old the guy actually was. This chapter was a huge shocker, i agree. the coolest part though, was how there was an entire message in the drum beats. theat was awesome