Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chapter 8

This chapter deals with Okonkwo dealing with Ikemefuna’s death and the marriage of Obierika’s daughter. I was happy to see that Okonkwo did have trouble getting over Okonkwo’s death. He had no right going with the tribe to kill him let alone finish him off. They told him he should not go but his pride took over him. He is so annoying sometimes. Ikemefuna should haunt his dreams forever and make him feel very guilty.
It is very weird how Okonkwo keeps saying Ezinma should be a boy. I am kind of thinking this may have something to do with her in the next few chapters. He needs to get over the fact that she is not a boy and accept who she is. Just because his other sons are not that strong yet he should not neglect them and actually treat them right maybe. I found it irritating how he bragged about Obierika’s sons and he seemed so proud of him just because he won that wrestling match, but yet he does not see a good future for his own sons. There culture is so much different than ours. Nwoye is only sixteen and it says he is old enough to get someone pregnant, which is true but he is not old enough to fend for himself he is not even an adult yet in our society. Okonkwo just needs to relax and trust his sons.
I found it intriguing how they have a bride price in exchange for their daughters. It is pretty much like they are selling their daughters. I do not know exactly how I would feel if my family traded me off for better belongings. Then in this chapter it talked about the oldest man in the tribe had died and then he could not be buried until his wife has been buried. I found this kind of like a love story in a way because as soon as the woman found out her husband died she went to him and then later on she died as well and they said they only had one mind, which for some reason reminded me of the Notebook. So does this mean Obiericka’s daughter is now married and that is the only ceremony they get for a wedding? That is a very interesting wedding if so, because the women went and cooked while the men settled things out and now they are husband and wife. That does not seem like too hard of a process I guess, but then the wives do not even get to know their husbands before hand, which would really stink. I would want to be a woman living in this tribe.

2 comments:

Garvey said...

Ha, I think you mean Ikemefuna's death, lol. But that's ok. I agree, it is good to see that he is remorseful. By all means that doesn't make it any better, but it just shows that he is human. It was also interesting how they handled the situation of the man and his wife. I'd say it was sort of like a love story, but I don't want to get all mushy lol. I don't think the wedding has actually taken place yet, either. I think they were just getting the details out of the way.

Joe King said...

I can never feel sorry for Okonkwo. It is completely his fault that he feels this way because he went out and killed Ikemefuna. He's an idiot. Obviously it doesn't take much for him to get back into insensitive black hearted mode because he just goes over to talk to a friend and comes back feeling way better. I really don't like Okonkwo.