Monday, January 28, 2008

Chapter 7

I cannot believe they killed Ikemefuna! That is terrible and not right. He was a poor innocent boy that did not do anything wrong accept adapt to what life threw at him. It made it even worse that Okonkwo finished him off. The boy thought he was his father and really admired him. It crushed me to know Okonkwo is that much of a horrible person. What honestly gave him the nerve to give him that last blow, now the boy’s last image will be of the person he looked up to these last 3 years kill him. I cannot stand Okonkwo he is a terrifying person. Then Okonkwo’s son Nwoye really loved Ikemefuna they were brothers. I cannot image how devastated he must have been. I wonder if he knows his own father killed his role model? Why did the tribe kill him; he was not doing any harm to them at all. Just because some spirit told them too that is a pretty pathetic excuse if you ask me. Okonkwo should really regret what he did. Before this tragedy even happen it talked about how the locust were coming this year. I remember one year when they came here at least I think they were locust. They were really ugly and kind of creepy looking. Well when they came to Umuofia they ate them! That is really disgusting. They dried them out and then ate them for like a treat, which is sickening. It is so much different than our society. They were delighted to see the locust come. I personally could not wait till they were gone; they were so big, nasty, and loud with their wings rubbing together. As the chapters go on I am beginning to see a lot of their customs and things, which is very interesting compared to ours.

2 comments:

Irish said...

Definitely a turning point in the book, this is a chapter that you will always remember. The boy didn't deserve to die, and it makes you wonder just how powerful superstition is via the Oracle! Did nobody question this ruling??? I kept waiting for Okonkwo to go and help him escape. Instead what does he do? He kills his own step son. This makes me hate Okonkwo, and for the rest of the novel I took the approach that he deserves what he gets.

Look, from this point on in the book, you have to view it as a bunch of short stories. Don't cheer for Okonkwo, because he is (in my opinion) beyond hope. The real reason we are reading the book is for the insight it provides us as we learn about African customs, rituals, and daily life events.

Achebe really burns bridges when he has Okonkwo murder his own step son.

Eating Locusts = protein. Sioux Indians used to do the same thing in the American midwest. Face it, when you are starving and its a matter of survival, you'll eat darn near anything if it keeps you alive. In Africa, beggars can't be choosers.

"As the chapters go on I am beginning to see a lot of their customs and things, which is very interesting compared to ours."

Yep, you get it. That's the point exactly. I think Achebe does a good job letting us sneak a peek into such an Alien society, despite having a main character who seems un-redeeming.

You posts continue to be deep and full of great observations. You are doing quite well. Keep them coming.

Mr. Farrell

Garvey said...

I agree, it was really stupid for the tribe to finally up and randomly decide to kill Ikemefuna. It wasn't like he was having a negative effect on the tribe either. If anything, he was helping. However, I can't say I didn't see it coming. After all, he was how the other tribe repaid a girls death. As for Okonkwo's role in it, I think he'll get his justice later.