Saturday, January 26, 2008

Chapter 3

The third chapter deals with the Umuofia religion and we get to know Okonkwo a little better. It begins talking about the Oracle called Agbala. To visit Agbala the person had to crawl through a round whole that was only a little bigger than a hen house. If I would of had to crawl through something like that I would be a little spooked out especially if I was visiting a god. I would feel very claustrophobic. It was a little sad how Unoka could not grow any crops but I guess he did not really try that hard. I was a little confused on how Unoka died though. Did he have some kind of evil spirit fallowing him or something and then tied to a tree to die? I did not understand that part very good.
It would be very hard for Okonkwo to start a life when he did not have anything to inherit. He seems to have survived all right though, considering his circumstances. He even had the trust of Nwakibie to plant his yams for him. That seemed to be a very big honor. Nwakibie did seem to be a little selfish though. I really liked the one quote on page 19 “Let the kite perch and let the eagle perch too. If one says no to the other, let his wing break.” It was a really neat quote and made me pause and think about it for a minute. After Nwakibie trusted him though the season was all mixed up and he ended up ruining all the yams he had planted. I felt really bad for Okonkwo after all that hard work it was such shame. On top of that he was the one supporting his father as well. Okonkwo has a lot of patience for sure. One thing I noticed that seemed to be somewhat different than what we are use to is that they drank out of horns. I found this extremely unique and different. I think I will stick to my plastic cups. Also while they were drinking out of these horns Nwakibie’s wives had to take turns until it was there time to drink. It is ridiculous how they treat women in this book. They had to kneel down to their man while they drank, which is crazy. I cannot believe how low people use to think women were.

1 comment:

xoxsara said...

They treat women very very poorly in this book. They are forced to do whatever the men tell them too. They cook and clean. They have to "wait their turn" to eat. They get beaten. I think it is rediculous