Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chapter 1 of Things Fall Apart

I have finished reading the first chapter of Things Fall Apart. I do not really know what to think of it so far, it is a little weird. Okonkwo is a main character and he defeated Amalinze the Cat. at first I thought they ment a real cat which really confused me, but realized it was some famous wrestler. The names are all very similar so far, which kinda of mixed me all up in the beginning but now that i am getting use to them they are not as bad. I really do not think i will be able to pronounce them though. Okonkwo's father, surprized me a little. I could not believe one man could be in so much debt. That is crazy, it really goes to show how lazy he really was. I can not imagine being so poor having barely enough to eat especially for his wife and kids. I would feel so guilty if i was Unoka. It was obvious that he would never pay anyone back that he borrowed from. Even his neighbor Okoye had to come asking for his mony back. That would be very embarassing for Unoka, but he didnt seem to care. I found it interesting that both Okoye and Unoka were musicians I think that may come into play in the future of the book maybe. I was also surprised that they marry more than one wife. That seem very disloyal and did not know people actually do that in Africa. This books seems like a book that will be about succeeding in life, especially for Okonkwo since he was so ashamed of his father. He will be doing "great things" in the next chapters.

3 comments:

Irish said...

it's a different kind of book. Probably the first one you ever read that was written by an actual African author. It's like when we read Pearl Buck who writes about China, we are seeing it through a white woman's eyes.

When you read Things Fall Apart, you are reading it through an African's eyes. It's much more authentic and original.

The name-dropping will slow down later, and you'll be ok. Don't let it worry you too much. You might try making a name chart or something if you feel too overwhelmed.

Okonkwo's father is a driving force in Okonkwo's life. It is what make him who he is. (a monster at times) Okonkwo fears weakness, which is what drives him like a madman.

Good prediction on the musican side of things. We'll see. I like the way you point things out about their tribe, such as the polygamy and Okonkwo's long-range plans.

Very insightful post, keep it up.
Mf. Farrell

Lisa said...

When Okoye asked him for the money back and he burst out laughing I thought that was really ignorant. Unoka must have been crazy or something, but I mean if the neighbors knew what he was going to not pay them back, then why lend him the money in the first place. I guess they felt bad for him or something.

Alaina said...

I think the book is going to be about Okonkwo's attempts to rise up in life, but I don't think that they will all be good. I think his dislike of lazy people will hurt him in the future.