Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chapter 10

Chapter ten is a very random chapter because it went from talking about Ezinma’s sickness in the last chapter then straight into a ceremony. It was a ceremony for men so the women just looked in from the outside. There seemed to be a lot of drum beating and flute playing going on in this ceremony. The Umuofia’s seem to be big on playing music before events and during times of the day. They have gathered at the ceremony to get the evil forest wisdoms on a problem going on between Uzowulu and his wife. He basically beat her so she moved back in with her parents so now her parents want their offerings back, but Uzowulu does not want to give them back. It is kind of like a Jerry Springer episode in a weird way. The spirit decided that Uzowulu has to go beg for his wife back then be watched by his neighbors so he does not beat her anymore. So Uzowulu basically gets his way and the in-laws still do not get their offering back. I kind of liked this chapter it was pretty cool. It portrayed a Umuofia ceremony very well and was interesting. It reminded me of like a court room and the evil forest is like the judge.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the Jerry Springer reference I totally get that. Yea I thought this chapter was pretty weird how they go from talking about Ezinma to a completely different topic. I guess the sick thing wasn't as important as the last chapter made it sound.

Garvey said...

Yea, I thought this chapter was pretty interesting as well. However, this guy reminded me a lot of Okonkwo. It sort of made me think that maybe that sort of behavior isn't so uncommon in their tribe. If this is the case, I don't think it was right for him to be singled out and humiliated like he was.

the sheeman said...

good point garvey, i also thought the chapter was cool. yeah the judgement was dumb, but the way they delivered it made me wish our courts went in for the dramatic a little more. i dont know about the jerry springer, but sounds good to me.